I think we all have been bombarded with the phrase “self-care.” Especially in the last few years, we are told self-care comes in the form of baths, pedicures, and face masks. While all this is true (and essential), I encourage you to ask yourself what will fill YOUR cup up. I think we are often infatuated with the constant “things” marketed as relaxing and fulfilling. While gua sha tools and massage guns are true blessings, I encourage you to also step back and find bliss in the non-thing things.
Here are some of my top self care practices as we enter Spring time:
- Walks on the sand. Indulge in the noises, the feeling of sand on your feet, and sun on your skin.
- Eat foods that are light and warming. Leaving winter and heavy soups/casseroles behind, start to favor foods that are pungent and encourage a digestive fire (I love onions and garlic especially).
- Revive a hobby that you once loved. After the stagnation and hibernation of winter months, now is the time to be preemptive.
- Stretch. Lengthen the areas that feel sticky from stagnation.
- Most importantly, practice gratitude. It is truly the best form of self-care we can practice.
I hope these inspire you to take care of yourselves. Comment below any self-care practices you swear by.